Allen Neighborhood Center will serve as a hub for capacity building, neighborhood enhancement, and for activities that promote the health, safety, stability, and economic well-being of Eastside residents and other stakeholders.
Our signature projects include:
- The award-winning Allen Street Farmers Market
- Urban growing initiatives centered on the Hunter Park GardenHouse
- Energy efficiency retrofitting through Restoration Works
- Newly opened Allen Market Place
Building Community on the Eastside
Check out our 2013-2015 Strategic Plan.
The following short video was directed by Shaemus Kermiet, as part of the Cool Cities Grant and features interviews with ANC staff and board members as well as the GardenHouse and Allen Street Farmers Market.
The following short video (9:37) was produced by Guiseppe Getto, an MSU graduate student, and features interviews with ANC staff and board members.
ANC Programs at a glance:
- Energy Preservation Initiative: We link homeowners with local community resources to restore and improve their homes to a higher level of efficiency, safety, and beauty.
- Connection to local resources in support of mortgage assistance, first-time home ownership, local realtors, and home repair resources and services.
- Health Coverage: Information and enrollment assistance for Ingham Health Plan and Medicaid.
- Breast Health: Information and transportation for the free Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Program, as well as the monthly Breast Health Club. Please visit our special Breast Health resource page for more information.
- Allen Street Farmers Market: A Wednesday market from May through October connecting residents with fresh local produce.
- Hunter Park GardenHouse: The GardenHouse is an urban gardening demonstration and education facility, conveniently located in the Eastside’s Hunter Park.
- Tuesday Bread Basket: Every Tuesday we have free bread available to Eastside residents from 1:00 to 5:30 PM.
- Youth Programs: Year-round after-school and summer Take Root Garden Club and Youth Service Corps programs for youth in the area interested in nutrition and gardening at the Hunter Park GardenHouse.
- Eastside Neighbor: A bi-monthly newsletter covering ANC events and neighborhood happenings, distributed free to homes in our service area, businesses along Michigan Avenue, and our mailing list.
- Wednesday Morning Senior Coffee: Weekly gathering of neighborhood seniors from 10 AM to noon, with presentations by visiting speakers on topics of interest.
Copies of ANC’s federal tax returns are available below.