Active Neighboring News: Detroit’s Hantz Farms, Bike Share, Film Fest, TEDx, Earth Day Celebrations, Photo Exhibits

Active Neighboring News

April 5, 2012

Dear Friends and Neighbors,
Happy Easter!  Lots to enjoy this weekend and in the weeks to come:

ANC-Sponsored Events/Activities
1) New           Job Openings at ANC
2) GardenHouse- Worm Composting & More
3) Join ANC’s Team to Race for the Cure on 4/29
4) Volunteering at ANC

Other Community Events
5)                    First Friday Land Use Lunch – Hantz Farms on 4/6
6) New         First Friday Celebration on 4/6
7)   New         First Contact on 4/7
8)   New         Urbandale Farm Chipping Party on 4/7
9) New         Capital Community Bike Share Charrette on 4/9
10) New         Clean up at Baker-Donora on 4/10
11) New         Free Spring Home Maintenance Classes
12) New         Onion Planting at Urbandale Farm on 4/11
13) New         Everyday Digital Adult Computer Classes beginning
14) Capital City Film Festival, 4/12-19
15) CATA’s 13th Annual Health Fair on 4/12
16)  New TEDx Lansing on 4/13
17)  New        Garden Workday on 4/14
18) Recycle Rama on 4/14
19)     Breakfast with a Cause on 4/14
20) MI Children’s Trust Fund Rally on 4/19
21) Breakfast with Bauer on 4/19
22)       Sokojikara on 4/21
23) Homebuyer Education Classes from Franklin on 4/21+
24)  New       Fenner Hosts Earth Day on 4/22

Ongoing Offerings

25)  New       Northstar Center Photo Exhibit
26) New        Copper Theft Prevention Tips from LPD
27) New        LPD Online Crime Reporting
28) New        CARE needs Volunteers
29) A Brush with Kindness (from Habitat)
30) New        Update from the Land Bank
31)                 Lansing Marathon
32) 2012 Hawk Island Tri-Registration
33) Quote of the Week

Your Friends at ANC

ANC-Sponsored Events

1) Job Openings at Allen Neighborhood Center’s

Youth Programs Coordinator

Established in 1999, Allen Neighborhood Center (ANC) is a hub for neighborhood revitalization and for activities that promote the health, safety, stability, and economic well-being of residents and other stakeholders in the northeast quadrant of Lansing, MI.  ANC’s work in “comprehensive and integrative community development” has resulted in signature projects, such as the Youth Service Corps, a job and life-skills training program for young people ages 11-17, and for KidsTime, a gardening, science, nutrition education program aimed at 6-10 year olds. Both of these programs currently operate as park-based engagement opportunities for children living in the area surrounding Hunter Park as well as in other neighborhoods throughout Lansing’s Eastside.

Position Activities

The Youth Programs Coordinator of the Hunter Park GardenHouse  will:

• Coordinate all aspects of ANC’s Youth Programs: KidsTime and Youth Service Corps.
  • Develop lessons related to nutrition, gardening, healthy lifestyles, and community service.
  • Facilitate youth programs during after school and summer schedules.
  • Supervise youth volunteers and interns during program planning and implementation.
  • Maintain organized record keeping necessary for youth programs.
  • Create outreach materials for youth programs and special youth events or projects.

Minimum Qualifications

• High school degree, GED certificate or agree to achieve GED within the year
  • Minimum of 18 year of age, US citizen or permanent resident status
  • Desire/ability to engage with economically, ethnically, and educationally diverse group of people
  • Experience and passion for working with youth
  • Knowledge and experience in gardening and nutrition
  • Ability to manage multiple tasks without compromising organization or attention to detail
  • Ability to take initiative, work independently and in a team environment, and manage time effectively
  • Ability to thrive in a small, fast‐paced non‐profit environment that values collaboration, creativity, and strong work ethic
  • Computer skills; Excellent written and oral communication skills

Cover letter and resume due Friday, April 13th. Please send submissions to:

Rita O’Brien, Hunter Park GardenHouse Program Manager
Allen Neighborhood Center
1619 E. Kalamazoo St., Lansing, MI 48912

517-999-3910ritao@allenneighborhoodcenter.org

Resource Development Coordinator

ANC is seeking someone with well-developed communication, fundraising, and even construction skills to assist with securing resources (funding, material donations, volunteer labor) toward our two building projects-our two Restoration Works houses and the emerging Allen Street Food Hub.  15-20 hours/week. Call Joan at 999-3912 for details, re: compensation, hours.

2) In the Hunter Park GardenHouse……

Worm Composting Workshop

Saturday, April 14, 12:30-2pm

Join compost enthusiasts who will show you how to turn your food and yard scraps into gardeners gold! Brendan Sinclair, from Student Organic Farm, will discuss vermicomposting, composting with worms. $5 suggested donation. This workshop is free, but a suggested donation of $5 is welcome. To RSVP, contact Rita at 517-999-3910 or ritao@allenneighborhoodcenter.org.

YSC’s Garden-in-a-Box project, now accepting applications

This year’s round of Garden-in-a-Box kits will soon be coming to the neighborhood! What is a Garden-in-a-Box? It’s a 2′x2′x11′ cedar garden box that is delivered, filled with soil, and planted with choice vegetables for free by the Youth Service Corps.  Though these dimensions sound small, a number of last year’s recipients agreed that it is a manageable size for inexperienced gardeners who want to get started growing their own food. We have a limited number of these boxes available, but limited or low-income Eastside neighbors living within walking distance of the park are encouraged to apply. To apply for a box, please complete an application by May 31st (available on-line, in the GardenHouse, and at Allen Neighborhood Center) and send to ANC. For more information, contact Rita O’Brien: 999-3910 or ritao@allenneighborhoodcenter.org

Hunter Park GardenHouse Salad Mix for sale!

We have 1/2 pound bags of our delicious salad mix (aka GardenHouse Greens) for sale for $5, while supplies last. Pick-up at the Hunter ParkGardenHouse (1400 block of E. Kalamazoo – entrance off of Clifford Street) Monday-Friday 3:30-5:30pm or Saturday-Sunday 10-2pm. Feel free to call ahead, during GardenHouse open hours to see how much we have for sale: 517-316-0377. Please make checks payable to Allen Neighborhood Center or bring exact cash. For more information about the Hunter Park GardenHouse, please contact Rita at ritao@allenneighborhoodcenter.org

Family Fun: Global Youth Service Day at Hunter Park GardenHouse
Saturday, April 21 10am-1:30pm
Celebrate Global Youth Service Day with us and complete some exciting projects in Hunter Park. We will be constructing Garden-in-a-Box kits, making signs to encourage park cleanliness, and sprucing up local garden plots for spring. Youth and their families are especially encouraged to attend this event, which will include snacks, arts and crafts, and learning about the importance of serving our community. To sign up, contact Volunteer Coordinator, Kristina Adair, at kristinaa@allenneighborhoodcenter.org or 517-999-3919.

Hunter Park GardenHouse Summer CSA

Interested in receiving fresh, local grown produce each week? Our Summer CSA will run for the months of June, July, and August. We have 20 shares available, with priority for 48912 residents. Enrollment will open to new 48912 members on April 16, will open to returning 48912 members on April 30, and will open to non-48912 residents on May 7 . The program is filled on a first come, first served basis, so hurry up and fill out an application when they are open to you. Applications can be found on-line, in the GardenHouse and at Allen Neighborhood Center. For more information, contact Rita O’Brien: 999-3910 or ritao@allenneighborhoodcenter.org

3) Komen Race for the Cure.

Join ANC’s Race for the Cure Team on Sunday, April 29th, in support of breast cancer services, research and awareness. (Note: 75% of money raised in mid-Michigan stays in mid-Michigan).  ANC is starting to recruit members early in an effort to have a great team! We have a blast each year on this walk; a wonderful time is guaranteed!  To sign up for Allen Neighborhood Center’s team go to: http:www.komenmidmichigan.org/ – click onregister today, then click on join existing team and type in Allen Neighborhood Center!  Please consider sponsoring a neighbor.  We have many who would like to walk but can’t afford the $20.

4) Have a Little Time and Want to Make a Difference in the Neighborhood?

Greeter, Receptionist, All-Around Helper

ANC is looking for neighbors who would enjoy greeting people who visit the Center for services, answering the phone, assisting in a hundred small but essential ways to the smooth operation of ANC.  We looking for a consistent 4 hour/week shift. Interested in hearing more?  Call Joan (999-3912) or Kristina (999-3919), and thank you for considering!

Youth Gardening Volunteers Needed

The Hunter Park GardenHouse youth program is in need of reliable, kid-loving volunteers to assist during the KidsTime and Youth Service Corps programs, as well as help with lesson planning and administrative tasks. Kidstime  meets Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 3:30 – 5:30 pm and Youth Service Corps meets the same time on Wednesdays.  If behind the scenes work is more to your liking, we can accommodate varying schedules.

Though we are seeking volunteers for the remainder of the school year, we will continue programming through the summer.  Summer youth programs run from 10-11 am, Monday – Friday.  Our Youth Service Corps members (young teens) will be resurrecting their Garden-in-a-Box project this summer and continuing their Edible Park project (planting and tending fruit trees, bushes, etc.).  The Kidstime participants (6-11 year olds) will be learning all about plants and their nutritional value, and also enjoying active games. If you have a couple of hours/week available and are interested in introducing young people to the joys of digging in the dirt, contact Rita at 999-3910 or ritao@allenneighborhoodcenter.org.

Other Community Events

5) Mid-MEAC First Friday Land Use Luncheon- Hantz Farms

The Land Use lunch for April has a great speaker and topic!  We’re really pleased to be welcoming Mike Score, president of Hantz Farms, the urban farm in Detroit that hopes to transform, in Phase 1,  more than 70 acres of underutilized vacant land and abandoned properties on Detroit’s lower east side.   Hantz Farms grows fruits and vegetables and hopes to harvest generate energy for the farm with wind, geothermal heat, and biomass from farm waste.

The first Friday of April is also Good Friday, so instead of meeting at the Central United Methodist Church, we’ll be meeting at the Christman Company’s Training Room, (across the street from CUMC).  A light lunch buffet will be available, and all are welcome.   Tell your friends.

Below is a link with more info about the farm project.   See you there!

http://www.hantzfarmsdetroit.com/introduction.html

6) Lansing First Fridays
Friday, April 6, Throughout Lansing
On the first Friday of every month Greater Lansing rolls out the fun carpet – big time. You’ll find restaurants and bars with unique specials, shops and galleries with extended hours, and events for everyone to enjoy. You’ll also find free CATA transportation on all buses and the Entertainment Express trolley, with service every 15 minutes between downtown Lansing and East Lansing and dozens of places along the way. Come out and explore the fun side of Greater Lansing – where you can expect the unexpected. For more information, visitwww.lansingfirstfridays.com.

7) First Contact with Ward 1 Councilmember Jody Washington

1st Contact:  Saturday, April 7th, 10-Noon, Gone Wired Cafe, Councilmember Jody Washington will be hosting her monthly meeting to fill us in on all the issues facing city council.  She will be there to answer any questions you may have.  This is a great way to have that close and personal way to communicate with her any concerns or issues you may have within your neighborhoods.

8) Urbandale Farm Chipping Party

Saturday, April 7thm 9am – 5pm, 700 block of S Hayford

We’re going to tackle our brush piles this weekend with a brush chipper and we’re looking for extra hands to help move the brush into one big pile.  If there is time in between chipping, we might also:  prep space for our new hoophouse, pull weeds (including garlic mustard), and prep the farm for the season ahead. Join us for some pile wrangling! Come anytime between 9am and 5pm.  Wear long sleeves and pants.

9) Capital Community Bike Share

Invitation from Lynne Martinez

Please remember that you are invited to join the Capital Community Bike Share Planning Group and University of Michigan SMART (Sustainable and Accessible Mobility Research and Transformation) Project for a special planning session on Monday, April 9, 2012 from 1:00 to 4:00 PM at Foster Community Center. A flyer with complete details is attached.  Please join us at 12:30 for snacks and registration.

At this Planning Session, we will review maps of roads, trails, transit and attempt to create a plan for Bike Share Routes and Station Locations that connect with other transit options.  Our goal is to begin to move toward a system of accessible transportation options that can take people from door to door.  Please join us if you can.  I have attached the agenda and planning / mapping guide that we will use for Monday’s Session.

If you have any problems with these documents, questions or want more information, or to RSVP for the event, please send email to: smartLansing@gmail.com or call (517) 292-3078

Lynne Martinez, Martinez Consulting Group, Phone:   517.485.2950, Email: mcg@acd.net

10) Clean-Up at Baker-Donora Site
Tuesday, April 10, 4:30-6:30p.m, 840 Baker St. Lansing, MI 48910
Sponsored by the Capitol Area Green Cleaning Crew (for information contact the CAGCC coordinator Lia Spaniolo lmspaniolo@gmail.com)

11) FREE SPRING 2012 CLASSES – Home Maintenance/Do it yourself

Presented by GREATER LANSING HOUSING COALITION

All Classes begin at 6:00PM. Call Bruce @ 517-372-5980 to register.

April 10th        Tuesday                      Decorating Your House without Divorcing Your Spouse. *featuring Leslie Hart-Davidson*

April 12th        Thursday                     Ladies Night Out-Auto Maintenance & Repair Basics

April 17th        Tuesday                      Basement Waterproofing

April 19th        Thursday                     Deck Building 101- Do it Yourself!

*class held at LOWES 6821 S Cedar

April 24th        Thursday                     The Big Finish- aesthetic vs. functional appeal of finish                                                                                choices *featuring Leslie Hart-Davidson*

April 26th        Thursday                     Porches- Railing & Step Repair

May 1st           Tuesday                     Deck Building 101- Do it Yourself!

*class held at LOWES 6821 S Cedar*

May 3rd          Thursday                     Faucet Repair and Replacement

May 8th           Tuesday                     Furniture Reupholstering

May 10th         Thursday                    Tiling a Back Splash

*class held at LOWES 6821 S Cedar*

12) Onion Planting at Urbandale Farm
Wednesday, April 11th, 1pm-4pm, 700 block of S Hayford
We’re going to plant our onions in Curley Field–our newest lot on the southern end of S. Foster.
We’ll meet at Urbandale Farm in the 700 block of S Hayford and walk over to Curley Field together.  RSVP requested so that I can gather tools for everyone:  999-3916 Hope to see you there!

13) Everyday Digital Adult Computer Classes
The new schedule for ITEC’s Everyday Digital Adult Computer Classes is out.  In summary, we have 2 Basic Computer Skills classes (levels 1 and 2), 2 Microsoft Office classes (level 1), and a Microsoft Office level “2″ class here at the Foster Center, as well as a 6 week Basic course at the YMCA Oakpark scheduled (whew!).  The schedule contains dates and times.  Contact Sarah Szwejda at sarah@iteclansing.org for details.

14) Capital City Film Festival
April 12 – 15 (Thursday – Sunday)
The Capital City Film Festival (CCFF) is a film industry showcase for independent artists, created by Lansing filmmakers and cinephiles. The festival celebrates and promotes filmmakers with an emphasis on Michigan-made, homegrown talent. CCFF exposes attendees to engaging films, conversations, documentaries and musical entertainment in a four-day festival taking place in venues across Lansing.
Also new this year, your festival pass gets you entry into TEDx Lansing on Friday, April 13th and includes a lunch voucher for some of the area’s finest food trucks!

For more information and links to ticket purchasing, visit www.capitalcityfilmfest.com/ or www.facebook.com/capcityfilmfest. Please contact info@capitalcityfilmfest.com with any questions.

15) CATA Hosts 13th Annual Community Health Fair
CATA is hosting its 13th Annual Community Health Fair on Thursday, April 12 at the CATA Transportation Center in downtown Lansing.  This is a FREE event open to the public from 10 AM until 1 PM.  Free screenings include: cholesterol, glucose, blood pressure, bone density, vision, stroke risk and spinal checks.  Services and resources also on site include: Medicare and Medicaid programs, Ingham Health Plan,  nutrition education, substance abuse counseling, senior services, Celiac, Alzheimer’s, Sickle Cell, cancer, organ donor, lead poison prevention, family outreach, emergency preparedness, and more!  For additional information, please call 394-1100.

16) Media Sandbox Capstone Series- Following TEDxLansing 2012
Following TEDxLansing 2012, Fri., April 13 | Lansing Public Media Center | 2:30p to 5:00p

With a focus on information design and video entertainment, the inaugural Media Sandbox Series explores visual communication through the lenses of design, business and technology. Our guests aren’t just good; they’re the best. They’ll tell us about how their brains operate (or try to, at least) and the work that they do. Following their talks, a panel will convene for an interactive conversation including those burning questions we’ll surely want to ask.

The Media Sandbox Series is a collaboration between the College of Communication Arts & Sciences at Michigan State University and the Capital City Film Festival.
Join us for a day of ideas worth spreading and rock stars worth meeting.

9:00a: TEDxLansing
1:00p: Lunch (included in a CCFF pass and TEDxLansing ticket)
2:30p: Media Sandbox Capstone Series

3 ways to attend:
-Get a full Capital City Film Festival pass for $50 (includes TEDxLansing, lunch and the Media Sandbox Series in addition to all 4 days of films, concerts, and parties)
-Purchase a TEDxLansing ticket for $35 (includes TEDxLansing, lunch and the Media Sandbox Series)
-Just show up. The Media Sandbox Series (2:30p to 5:00p) is free and open to the public

The most important part: Our guests
Ben Fry received his doctoral degree from the Aesthetics + Computation Group at the MIT Media Laboratory, where his research focused on combining fields such as computer science, statistics, graphic design, and data visualization as a means for understanding information. Check him out at benfry.com and http://fathom.info/
Diane deCordova is the Video Sales Specialist Lead for Google, offering solutions for TV/Video marketers on YouTube and the Google Video Network. Follow her at @videosales and @NNNbusdev
Graham Roberts is a Graphics Editor at The New York Times. He creates work for both the print and web editions, along with a team of highly talented and creative individuals. Check him out at http://grahaphics.com and follow him at @grahaphics

17) Garden Workday
Saturday, April 14, 9 a.m. –noon, RSVP by Tuesday April 3, Old Oakland Neighborhood and The Garden Project’s Garden Leaders Class of 2012 present a NEW Community Garden Workday…

Make raised beds! Prepare Pathways! Cultivate Soil! …and lots more.  Lunch will be provided at noon with recognition for Garden Leaders Training graduation.  Refine your skills while contributing to help install a REAL community garden. Help neighbors launch this exciting project. Put Garden Leaders Training skills to use and experience how it all comes together.
-We will get dirty!
-Wear sturdy shoes or boots (waterproof is best), and clothes you can move comfortably in.
-Layers, with a raincoat if possible, is best.
-This is a real garden. We will be respectful of Old Oakland residents and their garden plans as we contribute some legwork, elbow grease and cultivation to their community garden.
-When we get done, the garden will be ready to serve gardeners with multiple raised beds,
community plots, established pathways and more.
RSVP by Tuesday, April 3: (517) 853-7809 or gardenproject@greaterlansingfoodbank.org

18) Recycle Rama
Recycle Rama will be held on Saturday, April 14, 2012.  This wonderful community event relies heavily on volunteers.  If you are interested in helping, visit the Recycle Rama face book page at:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Recycle-Rama/159539094096411?ref=ts
Or go directly to the volunteer registration form at:  http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=oosfg7iab&oeidk=a07e5l5gscnb02ace65

19) Breakfast with a Cause
Sat., April 14th, 8 – 10 a.m., Incu-BaKe, 1967 Aurelius Road, Holtwww.incu-bake.com
The Nourish Network has been founded by Lansing foodies Randy Bell & Marcy Bishop Kates, and will host its first fundraiser breakfast on April 14 to benefit the Greater Lansing and the Holt Food Banks. Using a model similar to Selma Cafe’ in Ann Arbor (www.repastspresentandfuture.org) and building upon our adoration for all things breakfast, we’ve decided to host periodic breakfasts to benefit local organizations.
This is a donations only (we are not “charging” for the meals, but will cheerfully accept donations). It’s a “come as you are – come and go” event. We’ll serve a variety of breakfast casseroles and other goodies, coffee, tea, and other beverages. All profits will benefit the food banks. Who knows, you might even recognize some of the cooks and/or “wait staff.”

Want to help out or donate dollars or food items? To volunteer, please call Marcy at (517) 974-8944. We’ll need help cooking on Friday night, and for a range of tasks on Saturday morning.

We would appreciate donations of food items as well. They can be dropped off at Incu-BaKe (before 5:00 p.m. on or before 03/13), or call Marcy to arrange pick-up. We need:
eggs, cheeses, milk, stale bread, breakfast meats, veggies (broccoli, greens, onions, etc.), butter, coffee, tea, orange juice, paper cups, plates, & napkins
Want to donate, but cannot attend? Please send checks made payable to Incu-BaKe, with “The Nourish Network” on the memo line to the address above. Donations may also be made via PayPal; please contact Marcy for details. An accounting of all costs/expenditures/donations will be available upon request following the event.
Information and a map to Incu-BaKe is here: www.facebook.com/#!/events/191073854337732/

20) MI Children’s Trust Fund Announces Rally

CTF’s statewide recognition of Child Abuse Prevention Month with the Prevention Awareness Day rally event, to take place on April 19th at 11 a.m. at the steps of the State Capitol in downtown Lansing.  Please join us for this auspicious occasion and be a voice for Michigan’s children and families.

Feel free to contact Emily Schuster-Wachsberger, Local Council Coordinator, with questions at 517-335-0671.

21) Breakfast with Bauer
Message from State Rep. Joan Bauer
As you know, I sponsor a monthly “Breakfast with Bauer.” I’ve included the schedule for the first half of 2012. I invite you to join me from 9 to 10 a.m. for a light breakfast and to share your thoughts and opinions. This is also a great opportunity for me to update you about what’s going on in the Michigan Legislature.

Thursday, April 19 at Flap Jack, 1601 South Waverly Road, in Waverly.
Saturday, May 19 at Gone Wired Cafe, 2021 East Michigan Ave., in Lansing.

I look forward to seeing you soon! Please feel free to call my office at (517) 373-0826 or email me atjoanbauer@house.mi.gov if you have any questions or concerns.

22) Sokojikara
Saturday, April 21 – Recharge at Sokojikara – a Lansing Community College Event.
A special event will be held Saturday, April 21 at the University Center on LCC’s downtown campus to help participants develop their lives in the following areas: emotional and mental self-mastery, health and physical wellness, along with financial/legal and entrepreneurship subjects.

The full-day event, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., is called Sokojikara, a Japanese word that symbolizes the power within oneself. The harnessing of this power helps to overcome challenges and give courage to succeed against all odds as one transition’s through the various stages of life.  Topics will include an emphasis on the importance of mastering emotional and mental processes beginning with a keynote address from WLNS anchor Jane Aldrichtitled, “The Power of Happiness”.  Author and speaker, Erika Oliver will then deliver “Happy Crap, A Guide for Tipping the Balance to Positive”.  And later in the day, rounding out the topic of emotions, self-mastery expert, Jim Reed will present “Emotional Intelligence”.  Finally, moving from emotions to mental sharpening,  speaker and workshop facilitator, Angela Malloy, will help participants overcome limiting beliefs with an excerpt of her workshop, “I Can’t Do That Because …”.

Continuing the journey of balancing all of the aspects of ones life, the event will also focus on promoting physical health and wellness.  Healing facilitator Sheila Cook will present an interactive session on “Polarity Therapy”, which focuses on balancing the life energy of the human body. Next, Therapeutic Writing Consultant and teacher, Holly Makimaa, will guide participants through, “Journaling for Wellness”, using the power of writing to heal.

The final category of topics for Sokojikara will center on Financial Wellness and Entrepreneurship. Certified Information Security Specialist Professional, Elaine Brandon will speak on “Internet Security”, which will cover specific internet threats and safe practices. Lorne Greenwood, SCORE mentor and chapter chairman of Detroit SCORE, will conduct a mini workshop titled, “Could I, Should I … Start My Own Business?, exploring the question of whether an individual is ready for entrepreneurship.  And concluding the day’s panel, artist and real-life success story, Craig Mitchell Smith, of Craig Mitchell Smith Glass, will share his experiences as a Lansing-area entrepreneur.

This full-day event is only $59 and includes lunch and parking.

For more information, or to register, visit us at lcc.edu/ece or call us at (517) 483-1860.

23) Homebuyer Education Classes
Franklin Street Community Housing Corporation offers Homebuyer Education Classes one Saturday a month that satisfy the requirements of MSHDA, the City of Lansing, NSP, FHA and lenders for Down Payment Assistance and many mortgages.  Upcoming dates are April 21, May 12, June 16, July 14, August 11, September 15, October 13 and November 10.  We also offer night homebuyer classes.

In addition, we continue to provide Financial Management Class Series covering organizing, savings, budgeting, how to repair and/or build credit, debt reduction, consumer protection, banking, insurance and asset building for families that want to learn how to become financially independent,  The next seven class series starts Thursday April 12 for consecutive Thursdays.

Please call 482-8708 for details and to register for a class that will give you the knowledge and confidence to be a savvy consumer and homebuyer.

24) Fenner Nature Center Hosts Earth Day Extravaganza
WHO:
Fenner Nature Center
WHAT: Fenner Conservancy and the MSU Fisheries and Wildlife Club will
be hosting Earth Day 2012 in collaboration with 6 other Michigan State
University clubs and various other organizations. On April 22nd from
7:00 am – 3: 00 pm,
activities such as bird mist netting, small mammal
trapping, pond dipping, wildflower identification hikes, herpetological
surveys, bird identification hikes, and tree identification hikes will
be led by university students and professionals.  In addition to these
activities, the Master Gardeners will be kicking off our butterfly
garden restoration, and we are also forming teams to participate in our
first annual Garlic Mustard Pull Challenge!  Interactive presentations
about native Michigan animals will be carried out for the benefit for
all those who attend. This is a free event for all, and if you wish to
volunteer, please sign up at www.mynaturecenter.org.

Fenner Nature Center is also the host site for “Picnic for the
Planet,”
The Nature Conservancy’s attempt to break the World Record
for most people picnicking in a 24-hour period around the world.  Those
interested in being a part of the world record attempt are encouraged to
bring their own sack lunch with at least two food items and a drink and
a blanket.

PNC Bank’s “Mobile Learning Adventure” will also be onsite to engage
young children with interactive displays, kiosks, and take-home
materials related to early childhood learning.

Attendees are encouraged to ride their bikes to Fenner, if possible, in
order to reduce their carbon footprint as well as to gain easy access to
the park as the Lansing Marathon runs past the park and traffic may be
an issue.

PRIOR REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED – visit our website
www.mynaturecenter.org for more details.
WHERE: Fenner Nature Center is located at 2020 E. Mt. Hope Ave. in
Lansing
(At the corner of Mt. Hope Ave. and Aurelius Rd.)
WHEN: April 22nd, 2012
Mist Netting – 7:00 am – 9:00 am
Guided Bird Walk – 8:00 am – 9:00 am; 10:30 am – 11:30 am
Wildflower Identification Hike – 9:30 am – 10:30 am; 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
Small Mammal Trapping – 9:30 am – 10:30 am
Garlic Mustard Pull Challenge – 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Interactive Presentations – 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Tree Identification Hike – 10:30 am – 11:30 am
Pond Dipping – 11:00 am – 3: 00 am
Picnic for the Planet – 11:00am, 12:00pm, 1:00pm
Herpetological Survey – 12:30pm-2:30pm
WHY: Celebrate the experience of Earth Day in the midst of nature.

Ongoing Offerings

25) Northstar Center to feature photos of hate groups from Michigan journalist
The Northstar Center is pleased to announce that for the entire month of April it will feature the photographs of Todd A. Heywood. The photos have been taken over the course of the last decade and document a variety of hate groups and hate ideologies — from Neo-Nazis in Jackson to Terry Jones the Koran burning Florida pastor to anti-gay activists.

“I have thousands of photos and videos from hate groups from around the state,” says Heywood, “But I kept thinking: What good are they doing on a hard drive in my office? Part of fostering a conversation about hate is also putting images in the public’s mind about what hate looks like. And I can tell you, it isn’t always as easy to identify as one might think.”

Heywood began writing about anti-gay and other hate groups in the early 1990s while at Lansing Community College. His investigative reporting has been instrumental in the Southern Poverty Law Center’s listing of two Michigan organizations as hate groups in their annual hate map. The first group was Young Americans for Freedom at Michigan State University — which was listed in 2007 becoming the first university recognized and supported hate group in the Center’s history. More recently, Heywood helped to uncover and identify a new Neo-Nazi group — Battalion 14 — in Jackson.

Heywood is currently Senior Reporter for the American Independent. The American Independent is a publication of the non-profit news group The American Independent News Network. The photos in the exhibit are the result of Heywood’s work for The American Independent News Network, Between the Lines Newspaper and YAF Watch.  The display will continue to hang through the month of April. For times, visit Northstar on the web: http://northstarcenter.net/

26) Copper Theft Prevention Tips
From the Lansing Police Department
Please be aware that we have had an increase in Copper related thefts in Lansing. This is due primarily to the fact that the street value of Copper has increased to $4.00 per pound. The thieves are targeting vacant homes, businesses, and Energy Sector Substations.
The Lansing Police Department would like to offer some tips in hopes to prevent you from becoming a victim of copper theft.
Citizens are being asked to be on the lookout for suspicious activity near vacant homes and/or businesses after hours.
If you see unusual activity in and around these areas please call 911 for an emergency and (517) 483-4600 for non-emergency.
For the full tip sheet, please visit bit.ly/H93uFI.

27) LPD Online Crime Reporting
The Lansing Police Department launched “Online Crime Reporting” capabilities. The new system offers Lansing citizens another option to report specific, non-emergency crimes that do not require an immediate police response and is designed to provide citizens with more convenience in filing crime reports. The system can be accessed by the public on LPD’s website, www.lansingpolice.com, and is available 24/7.
Certain criteria must be met for the use of the online crime reporting system:
• The incident must be non-emergency (does not require immediate police response)
• The reporting party must be at least 17 years of age.
• No known suspect(s) or evidence.
• Not involve firearms/weapons.
• Not traffic crash-related.
Crimes that are eligible for reporting online include:
Burglary, Fraud, Gasoline Drive-off, Harassment, Identity Theft, Lost Property, Shop Lifting, Theft, Vandalism, Vehicle Burglary

How to send LPD an Anonymous Tip:
If you have any information about a crime in the City of Lansing, you can send an anonymous text message to 847411, beginning the message with LPD517, then leaving the text. You can also a message with Crime Stoppers at 483-STOP [7867]. Thank you for being vigilant in getting criminals off the street!

28) CARE Needs Volunteers!
(517) 272-7436lpdcare@yahoo.com
The Capital Area Response Effort (CARE) is a post-arrest response team for survivors of domestic violence. CARE staff, volunteers and interns offer crisis intervention and community resources to those who have experienced a domestic assault in Lansing, Lansing Township, Meridian Township, East Lansing and on the campus of Michigan State University. The next training will be held the weekend of May 17-20th, 2012. Volunteers are expected to be on call a minimum of one to two times every six weeks.  Call for further details.

29) A Brush With Kindness

A new Habitat for Humanity program that is designed to help homeowners in the Lansing area to make exterior repairs and improvements to their home. By using volunteers to do the labor there is little cost to the homeowner (just the materials needed). Repairs such as window repair, minor siding and trim repair, landscaping, clean up, brush removal, junk removal, door replacement, porch/stair/ramp construction and board replacement. For more information contact Ashley at 517-374-1313 x 21

30) Update from Eric Schertzing of the Ingham Land Bank

• Great start to the year on home sales.  This afternoon is a closing for the 12th home in 2012!  We have never seen this level of home sales through the winter months.
  • April 21st and 22nd are this year’s Spring Home Showcase of Land Bank properties.  20 homes will be open.  Check the City Pulse and our web site for a list of properties closer to that weekend.
  • Great progress by Scott Gillespie at 1621 East Michigan.  I believe this 3 story mixed use building begins the redefinition of the East Michigan Corridor!

April 21-28 will be Money Smart Week with events at the downtown Library and other areas.  Seewww.moneysmartweek.org for a list of programs.  Thursday night I’ll be presenting on Land Banks as a community growth tool and Friday afternoon will be a Tax The CARE Program is seeking volunteers and interns!

31) Lansing Marathon
Lansing is hosting its inaugural Marathon on Sunday, April 22. South Lansing CDA is proud to be a partner organization, especially since a significant portion of the 26.2 mile course will be on the south side! We’re also proud that the marathon will feature many ecologically sustainable practices like locally sourced food and recyclable materials. Not coincidentally, the race is being held on Earth Day.

Race director Owen Anderson is dedicated to helping people get active, and he is hosting several free run/walk clinics in South Lansing.
• Mondays at 6 p.m., Owen leads a walking clinic for all ages, abilities, and experience
• Wednesdays at 4 p.m., Owen teaches a free running class for kids aged 7-13
• Wednesdays at 5:15 p.m., he hosts a running clinic.
All are held at Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 549 E Mt Hope Ave, Lansing 48910.

For more information on the Marathon, how to register or volunteer, visit LansingMarathon.com

32) 2012 Hawk-I-Tri Registration Now Open

6th Annual Hawk Island Triathlon, Sunday, June 3 at Hawk Island County Park
SWIM 400m, BIKE 16k, RUN 5k

This beginner-friendly multi-sport event is designed to welcome and support people of all ages, sizes, and abilities as they venture into the world of triathlon. It’s also a great warm-up race for seasoned athletes gearing up for the summer triathlon season.

The Hawk-I-Tri promotes outdoor recreational opportunities in South Lansing, encourages physical activity, and supports efforts that increase access to fresh foods and improve overall community health. The event was recently commended for its efforts on encouraging environmental sustainability and stewardship. In 2011, the Hawk-I-Tri was recognized as the first “green” race of any kind in the state of Michigan, certified by the nationalCouncil for Responsible Sport.
For more information on the Hawk-I-Tri and how to volunteer or sponsor the event, click here.

33) Quote of the Week
If you think you have it tough, read history books. Bill Maher

Good Health is contagious; Catch some on the Eastside!

Here’s how:

Tai Chi in Hunter Park (preceded by Meditation) Tai Chi in the Park is taught by Bob Teachout every Saturday morning at 9:30 am., preceded by meditation at 8:45 am. Now that brisk weather has arrived, the group will meet inside the GardenHouse.  No charge!!

Friday Noon Stroll
Also, join us every Friday at noon for a Walk on the Hunter Park Path.  Bring friends, dogs, children, stories and become a part of this Friday noon tradition!

Free Community Yoga at Just B Yoga (For All Ages)
Every Wednesday, 6:30pm – 8:00pm, Just B Yoga Studio (106 Island Avenue)
Free weekly power yoga class for all levels!  Get rid of stress, increase muscle tone, and meet new friends. Yoga mats provided.  For more information, please call  (517) 488-5260 or visit http://justbyoga.com/classes/schedule/ or www.justbyoga.com

Let’s Garden Lansing
For a full list of “Let’s Garden Lansing” workshops, classes, and events, visit www.letsgardenlansing.org. Upcoming topics include: growing a veggie garden, growing on an empty lot, introduction on soil, seed starting, and spring planting!

About kristinaa

Kristina Adair is an AmeriCorps member with the Power of We Consortium at Allen Neighborhood Center, serving as the agency's volunteer coordinator for 2011-2013.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.