The Exchange is a project of Allen Neighborhood Center, a 501(c)(3) organization in Lansing, Michigan. The Exchange (food hub) connects local farmers and food producers with commercial buyers (grocers, restaurants, schools, hospitals, individuals buying in bulk, etc.), and offers growers and food producers with a variety of business-related workshops.
Allen Neighborhood Center’s Exchange is offering 4 unpaid internships this academic semester. (Spring February 2018 – May 2018, Summer May – August 2018)
This person will serve as Exchange Intern who will work with the Exchange Manager to:
- collect information to create farmer/food producer profiles (communicating with growers/food producers)
- coordinate Veggie Box product receiving, packing, inventory, and management
- aggregate Veggie Box on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning
- distribution of weekly Veggie Box
- develop schedule of farmer/food producer workshops and events
- document program efficacy through surveys, attendance sheets, evaluations
- promote workshops/events through social media (AMP Facebook, community calendars, AMP website, etc.)
- Commitment to serve 10-12 hours per week. Semester Internships are also available.
- Desire and ability to engage with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low-income distressed neighborhoods, farmers, and business owners.
- Ability to function independently and in a team environment.
- Knowledge and experience in food systems.
- Excellent computer, written & oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with social media (Facebook) and basic photography.
- Basic food safety knowledge.
We are able to partner with academic institutions to provide this internship for college credit.
More information about the Exchange:
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/AllenMarketPlace
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume, internship application form and background check consent form (click here) to Volunteer Coordinator, Pa Vang: