Market Walk is a program of Allen Neighborhood Center designed to improve the physical activity, health, and fresh produce consumption of adults and teenagers, through a structured walking program. Market Walkers will accumulate mileage/fitness hours and redeem them at the weekly Allen Farmer’s Market for tokens to be used for purchase of produce from farmers or vendors.
Facilitated Market Moves sessions will be held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 5-7pm and Saturday mornings from 9-11am.
- Facilitate Market Walk sessions which will be held on Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings.
- The Intern will provide “fitness education” as well as offer guidance on warming up, cooling down, target heart rate, appropriate footwear and clothing, gait, and other tips to enrich participants’ experience.
- Document miles/hours of fitness activity and initial participant logs for each session so that miles/hours may be redeemed at the Market. Ensure that only approved miles/hours will be redeemable.
- Provide individualized suggestions, supervision, and a “weekly fitness tip”, to build awareness about the benefits/risks/pleasures of regular exercise.
- Prepare a packet of instructions, walking tips, clothing recommendation, mileage logs, maps, and more, for all the Market Walk participants.
- Promote the program to potential participants
- Special projects as the coordinator wishes that revolve around fitness and health.
- Kinesiology or other health related fields
- Well-equipped to provide encouragement and guidance for exercising safely and effectively
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to serve 6 – 10 hours a week
- Willingness to work with a diverse group of people
We are willing to partner with academic institutions to provide credit for this internship.
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter, resume, internship application form and background check consent form (click here) to Volunteer Coordinator, Sam Bigley: