Active Neighboring News
Allen Street Farmers Market News
Your monetary donations help us make Lansing's Eastside a wonderful place to live. Visit our donor and sponsorship page for details. Thank you!
We have lots to celebrate this year! It’s the first anniversary of the opening of the AMP.
In the past year we brought our Allen Street Farmers Market indoors for the winter, launched the Exchange food hub and opened a licensed kitchen. These programs help support culinary job skill training and food entrepreneurism and connect farmers and food producers with chefs, grocery stores, restaurants, and you.
Bring your cash or check book to give your tax-deductible contribution on November 14th at 5:30pm! We ask that you contribute what you’re comfortable: $10, $25, $50, $100!
The Big Fuss menu will offer delicious hor d’oeuvres, convivial conversation, tours of the AMP, informational displays, and a cash bar featuring one of our anchor tenants, Sleepwalker Spirits and Ale. We will also have a short presentation starting at 6:00pm as well as a drawing for a lovely gift basket filled with local goodies.
We hope you will join us to celebrate Allen Neighborhood Center!
Grand Opening of Sleepwalker Spirits and Ale’s Pop-Up Brewery at Allen Market Place, October 29, 2014
Community-owned business opening a “to-go” taproom to promote business model and sell it’s beer to the general public.
Lansing, MI (October 29, 2014) – Business partners Jeremy Sprague and Matt Jason are opening a microbrewery at the Allen Market Place, on Lansing’s Eastside. The two plan to be open for retail sales from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m., on Wednesdays during the operating hours of the farmers market in the same facility.
This location will function as a “pop-up” brewery, that is, a temporary location meant to get Sleepwalker beer in the hands of local beer lovers and to promote their ultimate goal of opening a brewing and distilling destination in Lansing.
Allen Neighborhood Center is seeking an Exchange (Food Hub) Manager for Allen Market Place. Our full time Exchange Manager will:
- have primary responsible for providing aggregation and distribution services to increase sales of regionally grown food and food products to commercial and institutional buyers, e.g., restaurants, hospitals, schools, caterers, grocers, buying clubs, etc.
- support the development of the local value-added industry by linking growers and food entrepreneurs with the AMP licensed Kitchen to create value-added products, with the option of distribution through the Exchange;
- develop and promote a comprehensive schedule of training workshops, marketing services and coaching opportunities (e.g. business planning, financial management, food safety compliance, marketing & branding, etc.) taught by educators and mentors from partnering organizations throughout the region.
Specific duties include (but are not limited to):
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with regional growers and food producers and with local food procurers to increase use of the Exchange.
- Manage the online website (www.allenmarketplace.org) and software associated with the Exchange.
- Coordinating use of the AMP incubator kitchen by growers & food producers to create value added food products; provide guidance for licensing and link to training opportunities.
- Develop additional uses of the AMP kitchen (e.g., culinary job skill development)
- Facilitate activities of the instructional team; create & promote a robust workshop schedule of offerings for growers & food producers.
- Recruit, train, and direct volunteers and interns involved in the Exchange.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and as a team player.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Skills in managing our online website (www.allenmarketplace.org) and software associated with the Exchange.
- Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail as they manage multiple tasks/projects at a time.
- Experience in managing and creating relationships with multiple partners, patrons, and neighbors.
- Entrepreneurial energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, and teamwork.
- High level of initiative.
- Ability to develop, implement, nurture and evaluate programs.
- Passion for strengthening the local food system and for the ANC mission.
- Commitment to Lansing’s Eastside, its residents, stakeholders as well as strategic partners throughout the mid-Michigan region.
- A bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study.
- Management experience in business or non-profit organization preferred.
- Flexible availability required (some nights and weekends).
- Experience in food programs.
- Valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Full-time position (40 hours/week) to begin early November 2014.
- Salary commensurate with experience; benefits available.
Cover Letter & Resume due Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Submit to: Joan Nelson, Director Allen Neighborhood Center 1619 E. Kalamazoo St., Lansing, MI 48912 517-999-3912; email@example.com