Thank you for your interest in supporting mid-Michigan farmers & food producers! The Veggie Box program provides a convenient means of obtaining fresh, high quality, locally grown & produced foods. Our goal is to ease the amount of effort involved with eating healthy and consciously by bringing the farmer’s bounty to you. Each week, we purchase the best in-season produce from an array of local farmers, pack it into a convenient box, and either deliver your box directly to your workplace or have it available for pick-up at the Allen Market Place. We source our products from local growers & producers in Mid-Michigan who utilize sustainable growing practices and stringent food safety measures, so we can ensure a safe and healthy product for you and your family that is also good for the environment. Each box includes a newsletter with healthy recipes utilizing the produce, a bio of the farmers providing the various items, and preparation tips for featured vegetables.
Summer Veggie Box
This option runs for 20 weeks, June 15 – October 26.
Summer Veggie Box costs $400 (add-on items available for an additional cost). Summer Veggie Box includes a seasonal assortment of fresh, locally grown vegetables & fruits. Projected items include: asparagus, cooking greens, salad mix, lettuce, peas, radish, okra, herbs, beets, carrots, cabbage, green beans, peppers, kohlrabi, tomatoes, summer squash, cucumbers, sweet corn, onions, winter squash, potatoes, garlic, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries, apples, peaches, and more.
*Some crops may be unavailable due to adverse weather conditions or other factors outside of our control.
Fall Veggie Box
Runs for 8 weeks, November 2 – December 21.
Fall Veggie Box costs $160 (add-on items available for an additional cost). Fall Veggie Box includes a seasonal assortment of fresh, locally grown vegetables & fruits. Projected items include: onions, potatoes, winter squash, kale, collards, Swiss chard, salad mix, lettuce, garlic, apples, cabbage, carrots, beets, turnips, herbs, & more.
*Some crops may be unavailable due to adverse weather conditions or other factors outside of our control.
Schedule, Cost & Payment
The Summer Veggie Box program and Add-On Items will run for a twenty week session, June 15 –October 26. Summer Veggie Box costs $400, plus the cost of Summer Add-On Items. Full payment for add-on items is due no later than May 25, 2017, payable by check and credit only.
The Fall Veggie Box program and Add-On Items will run for an eight week session, November 2 – December 21. Fall Veggie Box costs $160, plus the cost of Fall Add-On Items. Full payment for add-on items is due no later than October 12, 2017, payable by check and credit only.
There are three payment options for Veggie Box:
1. Lump Sum– Pay your whole balance at the start of the program by check or credit no later than May 25, 2017 for Summer Veggie Box and October 12, 2017 for Fall Veggie Box.
2. Split Lump Sum– Pay your balance in two installments.
- Summer season first payment of $200 is due no later than May 25, 2017. The remaining balance of $200 is due no later than July 20, 2017. Due to the ordering procedure for add-ons, full payment for Summer Add-Ons is due no later than May 25, 2017.
- Fall season first payment of $80 is due no later than October 12, 2017. The remaining balance of $80 is due no later than November 16, 2017. Due to the ordering procedure for add-ons, full payment for Fall Add-Ons is due no later than October 12, 2017.
3. Weekly SNAP Payments– Available for SNAP payments only. Pay at the point of pick-up for your share. This payment option is only available to individuals who pick-up their Veggie Box at the Allen Market Place on Thursdays 12-6pm and pay with SNAP. A $40 deposit (payable by check or credit) is due no later than May 25, 2017 for Summer Veggie Box, and October 12, 2017 for Fall Veggie Box. The $40 deposit will be forfeited if you drop out mid-season; otherwise deposit will be applied to the final weeks of the Veggie Box season. Weekly SNAP payments are not accepted for add-on items; the full cost of the add-ons is due with the deposit. You are responsible for paying for each share, even if you miss a pick up. SNAP can only be accepted at point-of- sale (not in advance or after).
In addition to fresh, local produce, we also offer optional add-on items of other locally produced foods to further increase the diversity of items in your box. You can select multiple shares of each add-on item. See the attached form for more details and to submit Add-On Items.
- Brown Eggs: 1 dozen every other week, $15.20 for four distributions.From Grazing Fields Cooperative (Charlotte, MI), a multi-farm cooperative of small to mid-sized local farmers who are dedicated to raising healthy, happy hens! Pasture raised and cage-free, these brown eggs are a delicious, healthy source of locally produced protein.
- Bread: 1 loaf every week, $44 for eight distributions. From Stone Circle Bakehouse (Holt, MI). Owner, Kevin Cosgrove, is committed to producing delicious artisan bread that is gently mixed, slowly fermented, hand-shaped, and baked in a wood-fired oven.
- Coffee Beans (whole): 1 pound bag of whole beans bi-weekly or monthly, $72 for four bi-weekly distributions or $36 for two monthly distributions. From Rust Belt Roastery (Lansing, MI). With an antique Italian roaster from the 1930’s, Paul & Emily Nicholls offer wood-roasted coffee that is delicious, Certified Fair Trade and Organic, and from 1 of only 8 wood-roasted coffee producers in the U.S.!
- Cheese: ½ pound every other week, $32.80 for four distributions. From Hickory Knoll Creamery (Onondaga, MI). For 15 years, Mike Metzger and Rusty Plummer have been creating delicious, artisan, pasture-raised cow & goat cheeses at their farmstead where both the milk and the cheese are produced. Cheeses include a variety of Tommes, sharp cheddar, Kronberg (Appenzeller-style Swiss), Poitou (Raclette-style), and mozzarella.
- Dry Black Beans: 1 pound bag monthly, $6 for two distributions. From Ferris Organic Farm (Eaton Rapids) a family farm since 1837 and a certified organic food producer since the 1970’s.
- Fruit Pie of the Month:one 9’’ pie monthly, $26 for two distributions. From Glory Bee Sweet Treats (Mason, MI). Owner, Diane Allarding, uses high quality ingredients to create delicious, assorted varieties of fruit pies which you will look forward to each month.
- Meat Variety: 1 package of frozen meat every week, $88 for eight distributions. From producers dedicated to raising their animals humanely to produce the healthiest, tastiest product possible. From Stone E. River Ranch (Eagle, MI), Trillium Wood Farm (Williamston, MI), Heffron Farms (Belding, MI), and Grazing Fields Cooperative (Charlotte, MI). Summer items include one pound packages of pork chops, breakfast sausage, bacon (no additives), Hot Italian sausage (no additives), bratwurst, ground lamb, ground beef, chicken wings, chicken leg & thigh, and you will also receive larger items, such as: half chicken, boneless chuck roast, and whole chicken. Fall items include one pound packages of pork chops, breakfast sausage, bacon (no additives), ground lamb, chicken leg & thigh, ground beef, and you will also receive larger items such as: boneless chuck roast, and whole chicken.
- Chicken Only: 1 package of frozen chicken every other week, $61 for four distributions. From Stone E. River Ranch (Eagle, MI) and Trillium Wood Farm (Williamston, MI). Summer items include: whole chicken, chicken wings, chicken breast, leg & thigh, and half-chicken. Fall items include: whole chicken, chicken breast, leg & thigh, and half-chicken.
- Beef Only: 1 package of frozen beef every other week, $56 for four distributions. From Heffron Farms (Belding, MI). Originally settled in 1921 by Thomas and Cecelia Heffron, they are in their fourth generation of being good stewards of the land. Summer & Fall items include ground beef, ground beef patties, boneless chuck roast, and beef brisket.
- Pork Only: 1 package of frozen pork every other week, $41 for four distributions. From Grazing Fields Cooperative (Charlotte, MI). Summer items include: pork chops, boneless pork loin, breakfast sausage, bacon (no additives), spare ribs, hot Italian sausage (no additives), pork shoulder, and bratwurst. Fall items include: pork chops, breakfast sausage, bacon (no additives), and pork shoulder.
Delivery & Pick-Up
We will deliver your freshly packed Veggie Box to your workplace on Thursdays between 3pm-5pm (we ask for a minimum of five Veggie Box orders per workplace in order to make a delivery) or you may pick up at the Allen Market Place on Thursdays between 12pm-6pm. Produce will be packaged in a reusable box labeled with your name. Temperature controlled items (meats, eggs, cheese) will be placed in a cooler or refrigerator, depending on the resources available at your workplace. Empty boxes must be returned to your delivery/pickup site each week by delivery time so they may be picked up and reused. Reusing boxes ensures a low environmental impact and helps us to minimize program costs.
* The Allen Market Place does not provide make-up deliveries or pick-ups. We recommend you coordinate with a co-worker or friends who will pick-up your box in the case of your absence.
You are responsible for paying for each share, even if you miss a pick-up.
We accept payment by check or credit card (Visa & MasterCard by phone).
Checks made payable to: Allen Neighborhood Center (Veggie Box in the memo line) and can be dropped off or mailed to 1611 E. Kalamazoo St. Lansing, MI 48912
Check bounce fee is $12.00
If you pay via lump sum or split lump sum and drop out mid-season, we will refund your balance less $40 (cost of two weeks of Veggie Box). There is no refund for add-ons.
What are people saying about Veggie Box?
- “The Veggie Box has changed the way I eat.”
- “My son is interested in vegetables and local farmers because of Veggie Box.”
- “I love the challenge of using all the ingredients in the box each week.”
- “The newsletters and recipes are a great resource and I have learned so much from them! I will use the tips beyond the Veggie Box!”
If you would like to become a member, you can mail or drop off a completed and signed copy of the attached application and agreement to Allen Neighborhood Center, 1611 E. Kalamazoo St. Lansing, MI 48912 (Attn: Allen Market Place Veggie Box). If you have any questions, contact John McCarthy at 517-999- 3923 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Online form is available here!